Historic Irish Castle Rental
Lisdonagh House is situated in the townland of Lisdonagh near Headford, on the plains of Magh Seola (the plain of the hunting), overlooking Lough Hacket and Knockma Hill. According to tradition Finvarra, the King of the Fairies kept court here and Queen Medb is reputed to be buried on top of Knockma Hill.
The house is early Georgian and was built by the Reddingtons in 1720 for the St. George family, prominent Galway landlords. Building commenced in March and instructions were given that is should be built in time for Christmas Dinner of that same year.
Miss Valda Palmer was the last person to live in the house before it was purchased by John and Finola Cooke in 1995. Valda was a colourful character in the locality. She could not boil an egg but loved to fish and shoot. Many a man claimed to have been shot by that eccentric lady. She discouraged any unwanted intruders by having a sign outside the house saying "This house is guarded by shotgun, three nights per week - you guess which three"!
One of the most celebrated former inhabitants of Lisdonagh House was Mary Anne Kelly, granddaughter of John & May O'Flaherty. Better known as "Eva of the Nation", the pseudonym she used to publish poetry during the 19th century, she spend much of her early life at Lisdonagh House.
Lisdonagh House is flanked on the right side by a pavilion. This has a pyramid roof and a venetian window. In former times it was used as a rent room, where tenants on the estate came to pay their rent (at one time the estate comprised of over 2½ thousand acres).
Lisdonagh is a place with an ancient and magical history, where time appears to have no bearing. One would, at any moment expect to hear the call of the hounds or to see a fairy peeping from behind a limestone wall.